Tony Rino's third CD, Turn up the Christmas (volume eleven), is an exciting rock/opera project that features classic Christmas carols sung operatically with a rock soundtrack. Recorded at OCL Studios, this unique and creative compilation features numerous award winning musicians, including producer Russell Broom.
Turn up the volume past ten - to eleven! - for Turn up the Christmas!
>>Download on iTunes
I'll be Home for Christmas is song #4 on Turn up the Christmas (volume eleven). First recorded by Bing Crosby in 1943, it was originally written to honour WWII soldiers overseas who longed to be home at Christmas time. And I think it still applies today. I studied WWII when I returned to university a few years ago where I read Farley Mowat's 'And No Birds Sang.' I noticed the familiar names of several Italian towns I heard my dad mention over the years. And, when I told dad about it he told me some stories about growing up in Italy during the war that I'd rather not ever hear again. As a Canadian born from Italian parents, reading about how Canadian soldiers helped to drive the Nazis out of Italy was pretty powerful for me. I mentioned this story to Russell Broom who arranged the song and created the very emotional mandolin sound in the instrumental that gives this tune such a unique Italian feel. It's just amazing! There's another special meaning in this song for me, and that is the memory of my late professor and friend Dr. Margo M. Husby who taught that course where I studied WWII. Dr. Margo passed away too soon in 2013. I dedicate this song to you, Dr. Margo. https://itun.es/ca/nWhhgb?i=1176272133 Turn it up! #TurnuptheChristmas
Total Time: 30:58
Turn up the Christmas (volume eleven)
© 2016 All Rights Reserved
- Russell Broom - Guitarist (Jann Arden, Colin James and Sam Roberts);
- Lyle Molzan - Drummer (Jann Arden, Dean Brody, Kathleen Edwards, Headstones);
- Mike Lent - Bassist (Jann Arden, KD Lang, George Canyon, Chip Taylor);
- Mike Little - Keyboardist (George Canyon, Grapes of Wrath, Tom Cochrane);
- Sam Coulson - Guitarist (Band Asia) solos on 1, 2, 3 & 9;
- Kenna Burima - Background Vocals; and,
- Garry Sylvester - Accordion.
- Dan Owen - Executive Producer;
- Russell Broom - Producer & Mixed by;
- Josh Rob Gwilliam - Engineer;
- Matt Schultz - Studio Assistant
- Megan Owen - Production Booking;
- Brock McFarlane - CPS Mastering;
- Tara McLaughlin - Cover Illustration;
- Grant Hutchinson - Typography & Design Consulting; and,
- Stuart Foster - Photography.
TURN UP THE CHRISTMAS (volume eleven)
Special thanks to Dan for believing and making it happen
and to Russ for your musical genius and guidance.
And, turning up the extra special thanks!
To mom and dad for always encouraging,
to Pina for your incredible love and support,
to Joe for being my biggest inspiration,
to Diana for your enthusiasm and
to Rosa for your wisdom - I am your biggest fan.